Acetone, also known as propanone, is a clear, colorless liquid that is highly flammable. Acetone is also used as a degreaser, for thinning fiber glass resin, and helps remove adhesives and vinyl resins. While it is a widely used product, and is even made in our bodies, acetone is considered a hazardous waste material and needs to be handled and disposed of properly.
Solvent to clean electronics, polyester or epoxy residue before setting. Also to dissolve acrylic resins into a varnish for DIY fishing lures.
- Printing – as a cleaning solvent
- Adhesives Manufacturing – most commonly in carpet adhesives
- Wood Stains and Varnishes – for varnish solvents – very common in households
- Paint Stripping – as a solvent, also common in households
- Machinery Manufacture and Repair – as a cleaning solvent